Coyote Chronicle

Students Face Peer Pressure

High School Students Share Their Experiences With Peer Pressure

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students Face Peer Pressure

Senior, Jozaiah Cotto, was told to go on a roller coaster by Senior, Juan Viruet, and Junior, Javier Martinez.

Demitri Stathakis

Demitri Stathakis

Demitri Stathakis

Nicole VanGilder, Writer

Teenagers, adults, and even kids have been pressured into doing something at least once in their life. It could be something illegal like trespassing, but it could be something that is not illegal, like riding on a roller coaster or doing a dare.

Although teenagers can make their own decisions, they can find it especially hard to do it around their other people. When surrounded by their peers, teens can find themselves in situations where they normally would not be in if they were not with others.

Not everything being pressured on you is illegal. For instance, over the summer, senior, Jozaiah Cotto, was told to go on a ride called Falcons Fury at Busch Gardens. The roller coaster is 335 feet tall with 310 foot drop.

“My friends encouraged me to go on, and kept calling me a girl, so I wound up riding the ride and having a good time.” Cotto said.

Some teens have also faced their share of substance abuse as a byproduct of peer pressure. Some teens go to parties, and their intensions may not be to get intoxicated but when surrounded by their peers however, some students may feel the need to drink to fit in.

“My friend that I just recently met, asked me to drink alcohol during school last year.” freshman, Rocelyn Caminero, said. “I said no, I believed it was wrong.”

Sophomore, Tashaun Cook, got in trouble for fighting in school and even outside of school, whether he lived here in Florida or back in Philadelphia. People may see someone fight, and encourage them to keep fighting, or fight again.

“My whole life people has told me to fight, fight, fight. I did it just to keep a certain reputation for myself.” Cook said.

Peer pressure is not just happening during face to face interaction, it can happen through text messages and social media as well.

“I ran into a situation this year, where a friend from school asked me if I wanted to vape.” sophomore, Christina Bavaro, said. “They asked me through text messages.”

Being pressured comes in many forms, and does not always have to be something illegal. You may associate peer pressure with negative outcomes such as someone trying alcohol, smoking or drugs. However, peer pressure can also allow certain groups to have positive influences on yourself.

“My friends really influence me to do my homework, study for tests, really any type of work. They work with me to help accomplish things in my life, and help me work through things I don’t understand” freshman, Sarah Carrier, said.

About the Contributors
Nicole VanGilder, Writer

Nicole VanGilder is a freshman at Four Corners High School and this is her first year on staff. In middle school, she was part of her school newspaper...

Demitri Stathakis, Assistant To The Adviser

Demitri is a junior at Four Corners Upper School and has been actively involved in journalism for three years but has been on staff for one year. He is...