Facebook Live Video On Bullying

Freshman And 6th Grade Students Share What They Learned In A Facebook Live Video.

Students watch presentation by Nick Vujicic on Facebook Live Video. (P.C. Junior, Kristen Kingon)

Nicole VanGilder, Writer

Bullying happens all over the world, nobody really catches all of it, but we can try our best to prevent it. Kids and even teens get bullied every day, this can lead to depression, suicidal thoughts or actions, and future aggression.

Speaker, Nick Vujicic, comes from Coral Springs Charter School and gave a Facebook Live presentation for students in 6th and 9th grade. His main points in the live video were how to be kind to one another,  the importance of loving ourselves, and his personal experience with such.

“Vujicic was explaining to the kids how even though he didn’t have his limbs, he still lives his life, and never let his disability bring him down. He has children, animals, and even golfs. Nick was telling everyone that they don’t need to spread gossip, how they need to love themselves and everyone around them. He said how you can make the change in your school, and stop bullying,” 6th grade, Critical Thinking teacher, Ms. Kylie Root, said.

Vujicic is an Australian motivational speaker born with tetra-amelia syndrome, which is a rare disorder characterized by the absence of all four limbs. As a child, he struggled mentally, emotionally, as well as physically as a result of his syndrome. Eventually, Vujicic came to terms with his disability and, at seventeen, started his own non-profit organization, Life Without Limbs.

“Nick Vujicic talked about loving yourself and accepting yourself so you don’t lash out on others. As a way of combating bullying, he promotes self-love because that is where a lot of bullying stems from,” English teacher, Mrs. Haley Luna, said.

While harassing students is inexcusable, when a student is bullying someone else, there may be an underlying cause. For example, some students bully other students as a way to compensate for home-life trauma or previous bullying they faced as well.

“Vujicic’s whole point in the film was to show how people are different, and you should never judge other people because you don’t know what they go through. I believe it was very strategic point, for a person being very disabled to speak such a strong point. It really gets you thinking if you ever have done something to someone. Or maybe if you started gossip or even spread it,” freshman, Kalina Cholakova, said.