Coyote Chronicle

Captain Marvel: The Best Forgettable Movie

Captain Marvel: Worth The Watch?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Movie poster for Captain Marvel.

Movie poster for Captain Marvel.

Marvel Studios

Movie poster for Captain Marvel.

Marvel Studios

Marvel Studios

Movie poster for Captain Marvel.

Megan Walsh, Copy Editor

Marvel released its newest addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) titled ‘Captain Marvel’. The movie exceeded Disney’s projected box office records and made $455 million in its global debut, making it the sixth-biggest worldwide debut in history.

The movie revolves around Carol Danvers (Brie Larson) who is a young woman suffering from amnesia and has adopted new superpowers that she has trouble finding control over. Larson is able to take control of the character and capture the audience’s attention flawlessly. Despite this, the character herself is rather straightforward. Other than the issues with amnesia she is like any generic female superhero. She is determined, feisty, and powerful.

Due to the movie being a prequel it doesn’t give the same excitement or adrenaline rush that ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ does. Despite this, the movie is still worth a watch, especially if you are a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and plan to watch ‘Avengers: Endgame’. Before you hit the theaters keep in mind that ‘Captain Marvel’ does have a rather generic plot. A superhero finding her powers and saving the world from danger can be seen as both boring and overused.

Another area where the movie falls short is the almost obsessive behavior Danvers has controlling every scene. Little light is given to the other characters unlike in other Marvel movies such as ‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’ and ‘Thor: Ragnarok’. Other characters include a younger version of Nick Fury, Agent Coulson, and a tabby cat named Goose. Danvers is the hero of every scene, almost every other character following her and looking to her as the hero rather than taking the initiative to solve the issue themselves.

However, one has to give Marvel props for finally giving the Marvel Cinematic Universe what it needs. A female lead. While she is on the bland side, she still is a powerful and essential addition to the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There has been a societal demand for more female leads and empowerment to be shown in blockbuster films. Marvel centring one of their movies on a female lead not only shows how they want to please their audience but also shows strives we have taken as a society.

‘Captain Marvel’ is a movie that is worth your ten dollars despite its rather generic plot. Is it worth a second watch? Personally, I don’t believe so, I would rather watch ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ another time than watch ‘Captain Marvel’ again. In general, I don’t regret taking the time to enjoy the movie as well as gain knowledge on the newest member of the Marvel Cinematic Universe and I don’t think you will either.

OVERALL: 6.5/10

About the Writer
Megan Walsh, Copy Editor

Megan Walsh is a junior at Four Corners High School and this is her third year in Journalism but her first year on staff. Her interests include writing,...