Who Is The True Streaming King?

Recent Release Of Disney+ Challenges Other Streaming Services

Joshua McDowell

Senior Alondra Medina scrolling through Disney+.

Joshua McDowell, Writer

Avengers assemble on a new platform as Disney rolls out its newest streaming service Disney+. The service incorporates all the movies and TV shows from your childhood along with other exclusive films. Due to Disney’s large platform, the launch includes Pixar, Star Wars, Marvel, and National Geographic films and shows. Some would say that Netflix was at the top of the streaming industry until this new service came into the picture, but some students wonder if Disney+ lives up to all the hype that people say that it does.   

“I was happy because it was all the shows and movies from Marvel and Disney that we like,” senior Jefferey Evans, said. 

Disney+ is the newest hit on the block racking in 10 million subscribers on the first day of release. In response, Netflix signed a multi-year  production deal with Nickelodeon to produce original animated shows and feature films for kids and families. The programming will be based on the popular Nickelodeon characters along with new ones. Some shows you may remember: include Victorious, Sam & Cat, Loud House, SpongeBob SquarePants, and Henry Danger. 

“Well I guess I’m okay with that I don’t have Netflix anymore, it upgraded some of the shows on Nickelodeon I didn’t really watch so it doesn’t really make a difference to me,” senior Jeremiah Saccutelli, said.

With Disney plus being the hottest new streaming service, some may say that they claimed their shows and movies back from Netflix. But with as much success as its been getting for the past few months it may seem that people will not return to Netflix or they might. It may take a few more deals to reel back in their subscribers.  

“I think later down the line I’m probably going to have both because there’s shows on Netflix that I like that’s not on Disney+” Saccutelli, said.