Coyote Chronicle

Texting Vs. In Person

Disconnected

Juniors%2C+Yasmin+Okamura%2C+Juliana+Guidi+and+senior+Neemias+Jardim+
Juniors, Yasmin Okamura, Juliana Guidi and senior Neemias Jardim

Juan Viruet, Writer

Whether it’s your mom texting about your room being a complete mess; or the text you have been waiting for from your significant other, texting is a tool that has taken over society. Look up and chances are you’ll see someone on their phone right now. You might’ve just received a text as you’re reading this.

For students, texting may have it’s benefits, especially for those who are a part of extracurricular activities or have hobbies outside of school.

“It has benefited the way we communicate by being able to speak to each other in a fast manner without it getting in the way of what we have going on in our lives at the moment,” senior, Oscar Perez, said. “It’s so much easier than having to call or go up to someone and have a full fleshed out conversation with the other person.”

With phone manufacturers and service providers updating technology, students are not limited to messaging one person at a time. Providers are allowing customers to message up to 10 others at a time using MMS messaging. In a group chat, students can get their message across to anyone else in that chat without having to text each person individually or go to them physically.

“Group chat is a great way for better communication through multiple people, you can get a lot of information from different people and also send out different information to people” freshman, Arianna Flores, stated. “You get all the information you need whether it’s something for school or even after school, group chats help with all of that.”

While some students believe texting has its benefits, it does spur controversy with others. Some believe that it has ruined the way humans interact with each other on a day to day basis blaming texting for a rise in introverted behavior.

“A lot of teenagers have trouble making eye contact and feel awkward or judged when having a conversation in person” senior, Kassidy Thezan, states. “Using your phone takes out a part of the connection that you want to make with the people due to not being able to see or hear someone’s expressions or tone of voice.”

During interviews, students must be able to communicate with possible employers and explain the skills they possess. Some students forgo college and go straight into the working force and may find it difficult to get a job because of the poor interview they had.

“When people come in for interviews, especially young people, I really try to observe at how they speak and what gestures they make and how they can bring their personality to the table,” says Program Coordinator and Lead at YMCA, Jessica Roque, says. “Communication plays a huge role in their work and performance, especially when you work in a people oriented environment, you better know how to speak with these people or else you’re going to have a tough time trying to catch on with them.”

Maintaining eye contact and watching body language are some of the key points in having a smooth conversation. The effects of using those tips can lead to connecting with people on a deeper level than just using words, which can be helpful in any interaction.

“If you struggle speaking or being able to make connections the only cure is to speak more. Go out and just talk with people, it doesn’t have to be your family or friends, it can be anyone. Just practice having conversation with random people and you’ll definitely get better at it without a doubt,” Roque shares.

Communication is key after all.

About the Writer
Juan Viruet, Writer

Juan Viruet is a senior at Four Corners High School and this is his first year on staff. Juan was always curious about how good of a writer he could be so he decided to join staff to improve his writing ability and to create great stories. Now he finds enjoyment in writing stories because he keeps everyone informed of the things going on in school and out in our community.