Coyote Chronicle

How Does Technology Impact The Way Teachers Communicate With Students & Parents?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Freshman, Sophia Cortez, is working on her new project in class on the laptop.

Lora Cholakova, Writer

As technology becomes more modernized in classrooms, teachers are finding innovative ways to use technology to provide feedback to their students, and communicate with parents.

Technology has greatly expanded education. Only twenty years ago, information was very limited and had to be found only through hours of searching textbooks. Today learning opportunities are at the tips of our fingers. Thanks to the internet, we have access to images, videos, and books. Giving student’s access to eBooks, computers, and laptops inside the classroom has been very helpful towards most teachers as well.

High school science teacher, Mrs. Karen Tripp, is able to witness how students improve throughout the school years thanks to technology.

“I find students more intelligent and aware of their surroundings, they have better opinions on what is happening around them, without having any news or information filtered by others.” shares Mrs. Tripp.

With new technology it has become easier for teachers to create instructional materials to enable new ways for people to learn and work together. Many teachers are using PowerPoint presentations for better instruction and lesson teaching.

“Most students use them for visual representation and help those who are visual learners.” adds Mrs. Tripp, who makes presentations often.

This helps not only students but also the teacher in connecting and communicating. Students are able to be helped the most effective way possible and with a personalized plan.

“With access to technology, our work can be done quicker and more efficient”, says senior Brianna Navarro. “I receive access on doing it at home, when I was absent. I still get the chance to improve on my work, while I am involved actively in dance”.

Technology can make it easier for students who need more time on their work. Today students can share what they are learning with students in other classrooms who are working on the same assignment. Students can collaborate on group projects using technology-based tools such as Google docs as the walls of the classrooms are no longer a barrier with technology enabling new ways of learning, communicating, and working collaboratively.

“In geography class, we used google docs and it made our group work so much easier because all the team members updated the document at the same time, which allowed us to see who is getting their work done on time and who is falling behind.” mentioned freshman Kalina Cholakova.

Another way that teachers use technology is through an app called PowerSchool. Teachers have the ability to share scores with students almost immediately after they’re graded.

“I use PowerSchool every day to take attendance and put in grades. Mentioned language arts teacher Mrs. Shircliff. “It’s very convenient, because it has every student’s information. It’s easy to track their grades and a very user friendly app, giving us teacher, to track progress and class work efficiently.”

In classrooms there are many learning styles and different cultures. Teachers are starting to be more creative with how they teach- with the access of technology in classrooms they are able to differentiate instruction effectively.

Technology improvements are making teaching and learning better one click at a time.

“Technology is the best resource for students.” Mentions Mrs. Shircliff. “It’s something they want to master. Learning to use it enhances their self-esteem and makes them excited about coming to school.”

About the Writer
Lora Cholakova, Writer

Lora Cholakova is a senior at Four Corners High School. This is her 4th year being involved in Journalism, but this is her first year of being on the newspaper...