Let’s Take A Trip To France

French Club Students Visit Epcot For Their Field Trip

French club students posing in front of the Epcot ball.

Breann Weachter

The French Club went on a field trip to Epcot earlier this month to see Disney’s re-imagined France. The trip included educational and non-educational activities that were mainly focused on French culture.

One of the several activities the students experienced was being able to talk to the workers in French and going to the restaurant Chefs de France. They also walked through the French designed shops.

“They got a chance to see a replica of a French town, and they also were able to speak French to French speakers.” Ms. Ashly Thomas said. “Because whatever country is in Epcot, they hire people from that country to work there, so there are people from all over France there and they actually got to use some of the french that we learn in class.”

The trip was taken to give students a more hands-on experience that they would not have had only in the classroom. The students who went on the trip benefited as they gained knowledge about France and its cultural interaction.

“So, we got to learn about the different foods and how their cultures are different from ours.” Junior, Karla Matta, said. “We benefit on having a good learning experience and also having fun at the same time.”

Many students went on a field trip for many different reasons. Some went so they could speak to the French workers, others went to try classic French foods that the pavilion serves there.

“Well I’m not in French class, so I really wanted to go on the field trip with the club.” senior, Luis Alvarez, said. “ I just felt like going on the trip would give me a deeper understanding of the culture.”

Kayla Montan was one of the students that spoke to the workers in French. She asked for ice cream while most of her classmates stood and watched the conversation unfold.

“It was a nice experience. I was really anxious about messing up the words at first, but I think I spoke properly. The worker’s responses were spoken much faster than I’m used to hearing, so I had to glance at Ms. Thomas a few times. Being able to speak to someone very fluent in French was cool, and I really want to try it again.” Montan, said. “I liked talking to the worker because even though I was nervous, it’s always good to talk to native speakers when you’re trying to learn their language.”