Avoiding The Last Minute Cram

Tutoring Offered To Students Before Florida Standards Assessments (F.S.A)

Gianna Stathakis

6th grader Summer Busb practices math during tutoring.

Gianna Stathakis, Writer

Tutoring offers a chance for students to catch up with work and get help with the subjects they struggle with. On weekends, tutoring is offered to middle and high school students to help them prepare for tests at the end of the year for various courses.

Tutoring began in January, motivated by the fact that some students needed extra help in core subjects such as math, reading, writing, and science. Teachers and students showed their support for the meet-ups which gained approval by administration shortly after.

“We saw a need to increase the instruction for our kids. Sometimes 50 minutes per period a day doesn’t get where you need to be,” Vice Principal, Mr. Joseph Childers, says.

At tutoring, students were able to get the help they needed on subjects they were struggling in, but the students who were not necessarily struggling were able to benefit too. Students that attended had the chance to review over material they had learned throughout the year, and even expand their knowledge on things they already knew about.

8th grade, Aylea Treston, attended math tutoring and shared, “I had extra notes that I could look at, and I had different types of tricks that I didn’t learn in class.”

The goal of tutoring, according to Childers, is to help students grow. Whatever subject that a student may need help in, tutoring can act as a supplement to the curriculum.

“We kind of went more in depth in tutoring, so we learned the same thing in class, but just went more in depth.” 7th grader, Amanda D’Angelo, says.

Becoming better at a certain subject isn’t the only thing that students feel they are improving on from tutoring. Some students felt they gained other things from the experience that aren’t directly related to academics.

“You get outside of your comfort zone to communicate, completely away from learning the subject,” 9th grader, Leah Rodriguez, says. “You also get out of your comfort zone learning, and see people you’ve never seen before, but also focus and they can help you out while you help them out as well.”