New Student, New Identity

Jarell Jackson, Writer

For me, coming to a new school it was a big change in my life. Honestly, I never thought that I would ever leave Fort Meade. I lived there almost my whole life, and to just get up and change schools, it was kind of scary. It was scary because I didn’t know what this school is like, and how they operate. A change in a person’s life is the scariest thing a human being can go through, and that’s what happened to me. To be honest, leaving my friends was the hardest thing that I ever did. Even though I am the only boy that my mom had, I still had brothers in Fort Meade. They were my family, my second family at that, and I loved everyone of my brothers and friends, and to just get up and leave them like that, that’s just not like me at all. I feel like a traitor, because I’m over here making new friends, and adjusting to this school’s style, when in my heart, I’m still a Fort Meade Miner. I loved being a Fort Meade Miner, and I will never forget about Fort Meade, because Fort Meade was my life. But now I must make a new life for myself, I must change who I was, to who I’m going to be. I know that it’s not going to be easy and all, but life’s tough, and we must fight through the tough situations.