New Growth and Development in Davenport 

Growth In Davenport Requires New Schools To Form

Aerial+view+of+high+school+construction.+

Marian Jakubik

Aerial view of high school construction.

Janelle Doiley, Writer

With the population of Davenport skyrocketing, the surrounding areas are growing to match the influx of citizensNew stores, restaurants, homes, schools, and hospitals are being built to accommodate the increasing population. 

A new Publix is under construction in Polk County. It is located in front of the WoodSpring Suites hotel off of Highway 27. Construction is expected to be completed by August 2021. The supermarket is within close proximity to Four Corners, making it a 10-minute walk from the school. 

A new Olive Garden restaurant is in the process of being built on the Osceola Polk Line Rd in Davenport. The Olive Garden will be in the Champions gate area, and a LongHorn Steakhouse restaurant is expected to be built beside the Olive Garden. The empty acres of land within Reunion Village will eventually be filled with more restaurants and stores in the future.  

A Hobby Lobby will be coming to Posner Park, near Bealls Outlet, Ulta Beauty, and Starbucks. It is scheduled to open in 2022, according to real estate developers.  

“Posner has been fun for a lot of us. We like to go there a lot during the summer. They have shopping stores, places to eat, and also a movie theater to go to with friends. It overall is a really good place to go and hang out with your friends and get out of the house.” Freshman, Gianna Ortiz said.  

Orlando Health is constructing a new hospital that will be located from the south of Reunion Resort to the Osceola Polk Line Rd, close to I-4.  The new hospital will bring approximately over 2,000 new high-paying healthcare jobs to the area. 

With the ongoing development in the area, a higher resident capacity is expected. A new high school will be opening in Davenport for students that move into the area.  

An online survey that was taken in September of 2020 had Davenport residents vote for the future school’s name and mascot. The name was revealed to be “Davenport High School,” and home of the Broncos. The school’s colors will be black and gold. It is located on County Road 547 and is scheduled to open and begin classes this August. 2,500 students are expected to attend the 2021-2022 school year.  

“I think that the school being built was needed in the community. But I do like Four Corners, so I wouldn’t go there. Freshman, Olivia Lynch, said.  

The school was built to decrease the enrollment of students attending Ridge Community and schools within the Haines City area. Alain Douge will be the principal of Davenport High, who previously served as principal of Lake Gibson Middle School. 

A new public elementary school is also being built in Davenport. It is in Polk County at 201 Bella Citta Blvd. The school is just a few feet away from the border that separates Osceola and Polk. It will open this upcoming August and is expected to have nearly 1,000 students attending. A committee of district and community leaders has chosen two possible names: Bella Citta Elementary and White Sands Elementary.