Super Straight Movement

Controversial Movement On TikTok Develops

People on social media have started openly identifying as “super straight.” a movement, born on TikTok. According to the urban dictionary super straight is “Someone who is attracted to an opposite gender, who is born the same gender as they refer to.”

Nick Beri, Writer

People on social media have started openly identifying as “super straight.” a movement, born on TikTok. According to the urban dictionary, super straight is “Someone who is attracted to an opposite gender, who is born the same gender as they refer to” People have claimed this to be “transphobic”.  

Super Straight is a joke, they created a fake sexual orientation to have an excuse to be transphobic. By saying it’s their sexuality is just trying to disrespect and mock the LGBTQ community. I highly disagree and do not support with this so called movement, it should be stopped.” Junior Destiny Ann stated.  

The super straight movement can be traced back to TikToker Kyleroyce. In February, Kyle posted a video titled “Who else is super straight?” sharing that he had created a new sexuality. “I’ve made a new sexuality,” he said. “Straight men get called transphobic because I wouldn’t date a trans woman. Now, I’m super straight. I only date the opposite gender, women, that are born women. So you can’t say I’m transphobic now because that is just my sexuality.”

“I don’t think there really anything wrong with super straight. It’s just their preferences, if LGBTQ can have their sexualities I don’t see why super straight would be a problem. I don’t think it’s transphobic or anything, it’s just what they prefer because if they were transphobic then they would have a problem with transgender people, which doesn’t seem to be the case with this, it’s just what they prefer.” Senior Jakub Wierzba stated.  

Kyle later deleted the video stating that people had “sent death threats to my mom over it”. He also now appears to have deleted his account, or had it removed. That hasn’t stopped him though, Kyle doubled down on his comments in an interview with Insider where he said: “I created it because I was sick of being labelled with very negative terms for having a preference, something I can’t control, and getting labelled by the community that preaches acceptance with that sort of stuff. It was never meant to be hateful towards anyone.” 

“As someone who is super straight myself, I believe it to be an amazing movement. Now I do not have a problem with transgender people, I just prefer to be with someone who is born gender they currently are as its just my sexuality and what I like. However, I do agree that some people may be using it as a joke or an excuse to be transphobic, personally I am not transphobic. I believe that super straight is a real movement that people could chose to be it, if people can say they are homosexual or lesbian or another sexuality, I do not see why people would be able to put down super straight, it’s like not believing their own movements.” Freshman Jordin Stapleton stated.  

People have different views on this “super straight movement”. Many believe it to be transphobic, others believe it is nothing more than a joke. Some believe it to be a real movement and should be included under identifiable sexualities. There are now a number of petitions calling for there to be a recognized Super Straight History Month in September and for it to be recognized as a sexual identity.