Climate Change

The effects climate change has on the earth ways we can prevent it

Climate+Change

Haley Ladd, Writer

The world constantly emits carbon dioxide through natural cycles and increased human activity. When a substantial amount of carbon is

“We have enough scientific evidence from 1855, so over 150 years of evidence showing that we have increasing temperatures on the planet, plus we have data of carbon dioxide levels going up, and carbon dioxide is a gas that will affect the ozone layer, and with the ozone layer not working properly, then we’re going to have the temperatures going up,” Cambridge Science Teacher Tripp stated.

Carbon emissions coming from humans have vastly gone up. In 1950, six metric tons of carbon was being released into the atmosphere, in 2020, 34.81 metric tons was being released into the atmosphere. These emissions come from transportation such as cars and ships, electricity production, industries burning fossil fuels, commercial residential homes, agriculture, and land use.

“ Burning fossil fuels, cutting down forests and farming livestock are increasingly influencing the climate and the earth’s temperature,” said the European commission.

“The IPCC’s Sixth Assessment report, published in 2021, found that human emissions of heat-trapping gases have already warmed the climate by nearly 2 degrees Fahrenheit (1.1 degrees Celsius) since pre-Industrial times (starting in 1750). The global average temperature is expected to reach or exceed 1.5 degrees C (about 3 degrees F) within the next few decades. These changes will affect all regions of Earth.”  NASA’s Global Climate Change says.

Climate change is preventable. Although it exists without human involvement, the majority of carbon in our atmosphere is human induced. To be able to prevent warming beyond 1.5°C, we need to reduce emissions by 7.6% every year from now until 2030.

“We can prevent climate change by using energy efficient tools, energy efficient technologies, specifically using wind power, nuclear energy, about 90 percent of energy that we use comes from fossil fuels especially with transportation. Transportation alone. We should focus on that specific part of the crop because most of the fossil fuels that we burn which is the biggest contributor to climate change, trains, cars, trucks, diesel, all those things we use on fossil fuels,” Senior Emily Nagassar said

Students can help prevent climate change. The more interested we are in our earth now the more we can hopefully change our planet for the better.

“We can do stuff that’s fairly simply like, we come to school on a bike or take one bus instead of having like 14 different ones, simple stuff like turning off the lights when you leave the room and stuff like that can save energy which will mean less energy will be produced, damaging the environment less,” Senior Luis Lugo said.