Testing Season is Creeping Up on Students

The stress testing season puts on high schoolers, and how to be better prepared for it.

Pixabay (Any Barbour)

Caption: The stress testing season puts on high schoolers, here is how to be better prepared for it.

Christin Blanco, Writer

You feel it. Your friends feel it. Every student feels it. The stress and anxiety from the thought of taking important end of year exams.  

These tests can have a major impact on high schoolers academic performance and future opportunities, which can put a significant amount of pressure on students. Said pressure, coming from big tests such as End-of-Course Assessments (EOCs), the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and American College Test (ACT), being put on students can lead to the deprivation of their mental health.  

Junior Ashley Becke stated how she feels before taking an End-of-Course Assessment (EOC), “The days leading up to an EOC puts me in mental anguish. I always get really stressed out or I feel unprepared.”  

One major source of stress for students is the insistence to perform well on these tests. Students may feel that their entire academic career is riding on the outcome of a single test, which can create a great deal of anxiety and pressure. This can be especially true for students applying to college, as the results of these tests can greatly impact their admissions prospects. 

“Knowing how important tests like the SAT and ACT are when it comes to my future stresses me out big time. I get worried because I don’t know how well I’ll do on them,” Junior Jonathan Valdez said.  

Another struggle high schoolers face during testing season is the amount of material that they are expected to know and understand. Standardized tests and final exams cover a wide range of subjects and require students to have a deep understanding of the material. This can be overwhelming for students, especially those who struggle with certain subjects or have difficulty with test-taking in general.  

“The number of things I needed to know for the SAT was nauseating. I felt as if I didn’t have enough room in my mind to hold all the information,” Junior Sacadi Powell stated. 

According to research conducted by Christina Simpson of the Harvard Graduate School of Education Health, prior to taking standardized tests, students were more likely to experience stomachaches, vomiting, headaches, sleep issues, depression, attendance issues, and disruptive behavior when compared to students who do not have to take standardized tests. 

How to Prepare  

Though important tests can cause stress and anxiety, there are ways to better prepare yourself for them and even lower the pressure you might feel towards them. Some useful steps to take prior to a test are: 

• Take practice tests to get used to the test’s format 
  • Create a study schedule and avoid procrastination 
  • Practice relaxation techniques and fit calming activities into your daily routine 
  • Find ways to keep you focused while studying  
  • Eat well to stay energized 
  • Go to bed early to be well rested 

Junior Vinicius Alves de Lima claims preparing for important tests helped him, “The more that I took steps to prepare for big tests, the more I felt unfazed by them. I feel comfortable when I prepare.”