The New Hogwarts Legacy is Keeping Fans on the Edge of Their Broomsticks

Avalanche Software

Poster of Hogwarts Legacy.

Aniyah Martin and Christin Blanco

Ever since the first Harry Potter movie hit theatres, it has amassed a following between young and old, and now Warner Bros. is expanding the Hogwarts universe through their new game, Hogwarts Legacy. 

The game is the newest addition to the franchise, giving fans some good nostalgic entertainment by allowing them to explore the magnificent castle and do other tasks like solve puzzles, meet people, tame wildlife, and most importantly experience The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. 

Freshman Juliana Rodriguez stated, “I have always been a huge fan of Harry potter ever since I watched the movies when I was younger but after a while, I fell out of it. My mom got me into it because she read the books earlier in her life. So, the new game really did it for the both of us. Thanks to the game me and her are back in our Harry Potter phases and we love playing it.”  

The Harry Potter book series started in 1997 and was created by J.K Rowling and has become the #1 bestselling book series ever. Ever since, there have been several movies based on the series, which contain lovable characters such as the protagonist Harry Potter followed by his two friends, Hermonie Granger and Ron Weasley. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone was the first of the films, coming out in 2001. Since then, fans have always been eager for more projects.  

Sophomore Godric Rivera-Lopez expanded on why he enjoyed the movie: “In the first movie, I really liked how everything was introduced and revealed, like Harry learning how to utilize different magic. Ever since I saw it, I’ve been excited for every new project in the franchise.” 

Hogwarts Legacy, which was created by Avalanche Software and distributed by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, is an action role-playing video game set in the late 1800s, years before Harry and his friends were first introduced.  In it, players assume the role of students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where they attend lectures, learn spells, and investigate the surrounding magical environment. They will encounter hazardous foes and learn about dark secrets as they advance through the game, all while making decisions that will affect how the plot plays out. 

Freshman Stacy Carriles claims, “I was so excited when I heard the game was coming out, I haven’t played it yet, but I know I’ll love it.”  

One of the key features of Hogwarts Legacy is the ability to create a personalized character, with a wide range of customization options available, such as what gender, appearance, and Hogwarts house affiliation the player wants them to have. 

“The customization was hands down the best part. I like how they had a variety of hairstyles and it made me happy being able to put my style on my character,” shared Junior Raulnel Hernandez.  

In addition to attending classes and exploring the grounds of Hogwarts, players will also be able to venture out into the wider world, including locations such as Hogsmeade and the Forbidden Forest. They will cross paths with iconic characters, as well as unfamiliar faces, and will be able to make allies and enemies along the way. 

Junior Sacadi Powell explained, “Being able to walk around the world was great, it felt like I was actually living in Hogwarts. I’m an extremely curious person, so being able to explore felt great.” 

Hogwarts Legacy gave fans what they have been waiting for, capturing the universe they know and love in numerous ways. Selling more than 12 million copies in 2 weeks, the game has received lots of positive feedback from not only fans, but average gamers.  

“Well, I’m not the biggest Harry Potter fan but I’m a big gamer and usually I don’t play games like Hogwarts Legacy but wow… This game was so fun to play and all the little details in the game made it even better to play. I’m even considering watching all those Harry Potter movies,” stated Freshman Giancarlo Matos.