Barbie Movie

What to expect of the new Barbie Movie this summer.

Barbie Movie

Giovanna Assano, Writer

The upcoming comedy film, Barbie, has been in the works for quite some time, but now it is official that the movie will be released on July 21,2023.

“I used to watch Barbie a lot when I was a kid, and I hope this movie will remind me of my childhood with all the songs and her perfect life,” Sophomore Francine Kern said

The main character is played by Margot Robbie, who is also known as Harley Quinn from Suicide Squad, and her costar Ryan Gosling is going to bring life to the famous doll duo Barbie and Ken.

Since their release in 1959, Barbie been teaching children’s all over the world that women can succeed in any profession, however the doll has been a standard beauty for little girls.

“Barbie was an influence for the kids, anything that she does, everyone wanted to do too; everyday she was something new, one day a doctor, the other a stylist or an officer,” Sophomore Catarina Andrade said.

Barbie dolls had some bad and good impact on children, the bad thing is that became a standard beauty for the girls and because of that, in 2016, Barbie released three new body types: curvy, petite, and tall, after comments about the lack of inclusion of other body types. That change was made to reflect the view of our current reality.

But the good part is that the doll been inspiring little girls that they can be whatever they want, women can do the same as everyone; Childrens are easily influenced for what they are told, and the Barbie been providing them an accurate and validating picture of representation.

“I think Barbie impacted children’s lives in a bad way, by making them think that the barbie is the beauty standard, but on the other hand it helped little girls realize they can be whoever they want, work in whatever they want and be independent,” Kern said.

According to PEOPLE the new movie will be about a doll living in Barbieland is forced to leave because of not being perfect enough and finds herself in an adventure in the real world.

“People don’t have any idea what to expect [with the film], and I think that that’s the right vibe,” America Ferrera told PEOPLE about the film’s secretive plot. “Whatever you think it is, it’s not that. It’s something else.”

The movie will include multiple Barbies and Kens, including the singer-songwriter Dua Lipa who plays mermaid Barbie and Simu Liu, who is best known for playing Shang Chi in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

“I watched the trailer, and my expectations are neither high nor low, I didn’t like the Ken’s actor, because I think Ken should be young and someone that all the girls want, but I loved Margot Robbie interpreting Barbie.” Andrade said.

Barbie has been part of kids’ lives for generations, we hope this movie will create new memories and bring back childhood memories.

“I hope the movie will be funny and a good representation of the shows growing up, I just hope it’s something that you can enjoy and have fun with” Junior Isabella Oliveira said.