Why Students Fight in School?

Analyzing the Impacts of Physical Altercations in the Classroom

Christin Blanco, Writer

School is meant to be a safe place for students to learn and grow, but when fights break out, almost anyone can be affected. These types of situations have become dangerously common, and their negative impact can be distressing and dire. 

Disagreements between students are one of the most frequent causes of fighting in the classroom. A range of things, such as envy, rivalry, bullying, or just a difference of opinion, and even external variables such as online bullying can be the root of classroom brawls.  

“I’ve been in two fights, one stemming from people saying stuff about me and one stemming from a disagreement I had. I feel that the fights solved the problem, but it should have never gone that far in the first place,” claimed Freshman Cameron Morgan.  

The impact fighting can have on students is incredibly significant. Fights can lead to serious injuries and even death if taken too far. Back in March a 16-year-old boy from Santa Rosa California passed away during a fight that broke out in his classroom, leaving his family and peers devastated. Additionally, physical altercations risk the safety of those involved and those around them. 

Junior Sacadi Powell stated, “I won’t lie, I am always on the lookout for fights, not only because I want to watch what is going on, but I like to know how and when I should focus on keeping my friends and I safe. You never know if someone is armed or if the fight is going to get big enough where they punch the wrong person.” 

The most crucial aspect in preventing student blow outs is to establish an accepting and safe educational environment. This involves creating a supportive environment for kids to interact with one another. According to the CDC, over 1 in 5 teens battle mental illness. This makes offering programs that teach conflict resolution and encourage students to seek mental health support particularly important. 

One anonymous junior expressed, “When I feel upset at someone to the point where I consider fighting, I head straight to the mental health counselor’s office and talking to her really helps calm me down. It also makes me realize there’s better things to spend my time on and better ways to handle the situation.”  

Overall, student fights at school are a common problem with serious consequences for both the individuals taking part and those on the outside. Schools can work towards preventing fights by establishing a safe learning environment and offering resources for assistance and deterrence.