ASVAB is a test for those who wish to enter the military.
Canva

Adventure Awaits

ASVAB students share their inspiration for joining the military

Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) is a test for those who would like to join the military. The test contains material such as math, science, engineering and mechanic questions in order to find out which branch suits you the most. Students are taking these tests to join the military for adventure, financial benefits, purpose, and more.

Lea Forrester is a junior who took the ASVAB test not too long ago. They share that the test helps find your IQ along with which branch of the military you would be the most compatible with.

“[ASVAB] is a military altitude test. It is a combination of gaining your IQ as well as what your abilities are and what you would qualify for at different careers in the military,” Forrester said.

Forrester comes from a military family along with a long line of military men. They plan to join the military to continue their father’s legacy. Unfortunately, their father passed away before graduating and joining the military.

“I come from a military family on my biological father’s side with a huge, long line of just navy men. My biological dad, before he passed, he was actually ROTC for the navy. Unfortunately, he didn’t get to graduate before passing but I kind of want to take on his legacy,” Forrester said.

While some may join the military to carry on a legacy, such as Forrester, others join the military for an adventure. Sophomore Dessire Rodriguez-Bonilla shares that he has always wanted to live his life adventurously. He also claims that the military would the best place to have adventures.

“I really liked the thought of [living] my life adventurously. More recently, I’ve been trying to, and the military is probably the best place to find adventure like that,” Rodriquez-Bonilla said.

When it comes to the test itself, Rodriguez-Bonilla describes the test as difficult along with a wide variety of questions. He states that there were questions about cars, mechanics, and some that were electrical-related.

“As I explained before, it goes though general stuff but there were things that I just did not know. There was stuff about electrical things and mechanic things and car stuff. I do not know that stuff, so in that department it was draining but the rest was pretty simple,” Rodriguez-Bonilla said.

Other students may join the military due to inspiration from other soldiers. Junior Isabely Cuevas-Vera shares that they got their inspiration from watching others serve and defend their country. They also discuss the financial benefits that they would get from serving in the military.

“Really just seeing people serving their country seems like a good opportunity to do good. I heard that the military could also help you out with any finance issues and any college opportunities. So, I’m willing to see what they would offer for me at least and see where that might go in the future,” Cuevas-Vera

Cuevas-Vera also hopes to gain an adventure from the military. They have spent most of their life here in Florida for most of their life and they plan to explore the rest of the world.

“I do hope to explore the world. For me at least, a personal goal would be to see what’s out there. I’ve been living in Florida for most of my life, so to know that most people get stationed to different countries as well would be a really cool thing to explore and see people from different places of the world,” Cuevas-Vera said.

Many ASVAB students have different reasons for joining the military. Whether they want to carry on a legacy, go on an adventure, or even go for financial gain, the ASVAB test is the best way to start.

“For anyone wanting to join the military, be sure what you want to do, have your reasons on why you want to do it, and be happy with what you want to do. Don’t join the military just because you feel forced to do so. Join it because you feel like it’s going to benefit you in the long run,” Cuevas-Vera concluded.