Shaping the Way You Look at Art

Sophomore Widalys Figueroa using clay to make a polar bear

Emily Hosek, Writer

In Mrs. Rachael Walsh’s art classes they have been doing a unique art project involving material clay. The project consists of using clay to make 3D art sculptures of animals or other ideas they have. The project can definitely be a creative and different experience for students since some may not have done a clay art project in the past. There can be many steps to the making of the sculptures.

“Instead of being dedicated to just 2D concepts, we had to think outside the box for 3D art, also it is different because we’re using materials that most are not used to,” senior, Jordan Morales, said.

The first step is for the students to decide what they want to make and do a 2D drawing of the object they want to make. The students then get the clay and begin to shape it into the desire shape they want, but they must let it air dry for an hour after the clay is molded. After letting it air dry for an hour that is when students can add details such as, eyes, leaves, hair, etc. Then, the students let the sculptures completely dry to get it approved by Mrs. Walsh and then bake it. The final step is for students to paint the baked clay.

“The project was enjoyable because seeing your drawing come to life is great although the clay does make your hands crack and dry so that wasn’t as enjoyable” junior Luisa Navarrete said.