New Years Resolutions

With Covid and 2020 being a rough year, what are peoples New Year resolutions?

“Top view of flat lay with keyboard, glasses, plant and notebook with 2021 goals. New year resolution.” by wuestenigel is licensed under CC BY 2.0

Nick Beri, Writer

A New Year’s resolution is a common trend to make a promise to yourself that you will change something next year. During this time of year, people reflect on all the great things that they did over the last year, in 2020. And they also think about some of the things that were not so great things they would like to change or do differently next year. Even though 2020 was a tough year for a lot of people, 2021 is a new year and it is a time to think positively about all the great things that you have and what students need to do to make the most of them this new year.

“With 2020 being such a bad year for me it’s hard to stay motivated to do such a new year’s resolution but my new year’s resolution is to lose weight and go on a diet. It has been very difficult so far, and I have broken once and cheated, but I’m going to try to stick to it, but with COVID around it is hard to leave the house often so it’s hard not to sit down and eat chips while playing video games during this time but I will continue to try with my new year’s resolution.” Sophomore Pascalis Hartofillis stated.

In the year 2020, $29.4 billion of video games have been sold in the US, a 23% percent increase from the previous year. Most of that increase has been in the content of games themselves (Digitally and disk) as well as hardware (Consoles and accessories) have also seen double-digit increases since the pandemic began, and those who already have consoles are buying more games to play on them. According to www.weforum.org.

“My new year resolution is to cut down my gaming time, I spend hours straight playing video games even though I know it’s not healthy for me. So instead of 5-6 hours a day I am going to try to cut it down to 2-3 hours a day. It has been a few days and so far, I have been able to get myself off the game, but I just feel like forgetting it and staying on, but I have been getting off and going for a walk outside instead and hanging out with my family. I hope I could keep it up for it could turn into a regular daily routine.” Junior, Javion Soto, said.

Despite the tradition’s religious roots, New Year’s resolutions today are a mostly secular practice. Instead of making promises to the gods, most people make resolutions only to themselves, and focus purely on self-improvement (which may explain why such resolutions seem so hard to follow through on).

“My new year resolution is to stop spending a lot of money. I go to work with my dad and when we get our checks, I tend to spend it really fast on pointless stuff like keychains and rings that I never wear or anything so starting this year I’m going to save up my money and when something I truly want and will use, I will buy it, my first check of the year comes on the first Thursday and this year and I tend on saving it as well as my future ones.” Junior, James Walczak said.

With the new year of 2021 students have set there new year resolutions with the mindset of completing it, 2021 is a new year and it is a time to think positively about all the great things that you have and what you need to do to make the most of them this new year. New Year’s resolutions today are a mostly secular practice.