Release of iOS 15 

iOS 15 logo next to iPhones.

iOS 15 logo next to iPhone’s.

Nick Beri, Writer, Editor

The next version of Apple’s iOS has arrived, iOS 15. It brings lots of new features and improvements to iPhone users, including new features to Safari, screen setup, and FaceTime. In order to download iOS 15, you will want to plug your iPhone into a charger and make sure it is connected to Wi-Fi. Then go to Settings > General > Software Update. Then, tap on iOS 15 and choose Download and Install. Once that is done, tap Install now and from there, your iPhone will automatically begin updating. Once it cycles through the process and the device restarts, iOS 15 has officially been installed to your device.

“I was actually a little confused when iOS 15 was updated to my phone because I was not aware that it was out yet, it just took me by surprise. When I was exploring around the new update, I came across all the new FaceTime features and I really like them. I especially like the new FaceTime link feature that allows me to FaceTime my friends who have androids. Overall, I honestly believe that iOS 15 is an amazing update, and I am pretty happy with it,” Senior Jonathan Polohronakis stated.

Apple’s video-calling app FaceTime received some major upgrades in iOS 15. This includes a grid view for multi-person chats that is like the application Zoom. Additionally, there is now a Portrait mode feature that is the same as the Camera application and you can also create FaceTime links to share and invite others to a video chat which can be added to your calendar. Those with the link can join these calls through Google Chrome or Microsoft’s Edge browser, even if they are using an Android phone or a Windows laptop. FaceTime is now using spatial audio to space out sounds based on where your friends are on the grid view of a group call, making it feel more like you are all in a room. There are two new options for the microphone: Voice Isolation and Wide Spectrum. This former will cut out all ambient noise, so the person on the other end just hears your voice and the latter will try and pick up all sounds in your surroundings.

“I was really excited to see the iOS 15 update is out, I heard about it a while ago and was looking forward to it coming out. I like the new safari layout and how you can personalize it better to your preferences although I am not really a big fan about the search bar being on the bottom, that is going to take a little while to get used to but that is okay. So far, I’m enjoying the new update and it seems to have been well worth the wait,” Freshman Tristen Mcpherson stated.

The web browser Safari had also been given new features such as the URL bar is now located on the bottom, on the new tab page there are your favorite websites, reading list, and content. iPhone users can swipe through tabs easily and group them together. Safari is more customizable now as you can edit what is available on your start page. This is a feature that is available on macOS but is now also available on iOS 15 devices. A downward swipe on any webpage will now refresh the page, this is an alternative to having to tap on the reload icon.

“I downloaded the update as soon as I saw it available, I was really excited to see all the new stuff that was going to be in iOS 15. My favorite thing in the new update has to be the new focus setting, apple went all out when making this new feature. I spent hours setting up my focus list, I have one for school, studying, games, car, and work. They are each set up differently, it is like having a new phone for whatever I’m doing. I think iOS 15 is the best update ever, they went above and beyond with the new features and I’m really happy with everything,” Senior Neveah Stapleton stated.

The new focus feature is a way to organize your entire iPhone’s home screen to match your mood. You can choose between profiles like Work, Personal, and Sleep, (or create up to 10 Focuses), and your home screen will show apps and widgets related to the focus mode you have it set to. These modes can be turned on for an hour, start when you leave or enter a specific location, or can be timed to your calendar events. Friends and family can see if you are in a Focus if you do not want to be disturbed via the Messages app. You are able to turn the focus off at any moment. Notifications have a new look and can be managed differently depending on your focus.