Clubs Fostering Unity and New Friendships

Students join new clubs in hopes to build college resumes but also forge new friendships and experiences.

Members of the foreign media exchange club admiring the art style of Demon Slayer with Club adviser Miss Walton.

Alejandro Feliu

Clubs of all types have and are debuting in the school for students to enjoy themselves after a long and tiring day of working hard on their studies.  

Students nowadays are always looking for something to do, whether it be something to pass the time and or relax, they always look like they are searching for an activity to grab their attention, that is where clubs at the school come in to shine light on a dim path.  

“Enjoy it? Oh, they do enjoy it. And they are proud because they are putting on these activities and so it gives them a sense of pride and ownership when they see how much fun the other students are having,” Civics teacher and Party Committee advisor, Camille Yeager, said. 

The party committee plans out the 8th grade ball for middle schoolers, but there are so many clubs to choose from, filled with students who share interests with whatever they want to do with their free time. The Foreign Media Exchange club offers a place for students who are invested in the topic of Asian culture and entertainment.  

“The purpose of the foreign media exchange club is to introduce students to diverse cultures and to learn about them through different media formats,” United States government teacher Surojane Walton said.  

Clubs offer a place for students to express their interests in an environment with other students to create relationships over fun activities. The Dungeons and Dragons club gives students a chance to let their imagination run wild as they go on a grand quest with friends. 

“The point of the game itself is really to make friends and get a chance to improvise and a safe place where people can kind of try out new things and even be more of themselves,” World History teacher and Dungeons and Dragons club advisor Steve Johnson said.  

In addition, clubs serve as a safe place for students to show off their creativity and imagination. Students and young adults these days are scrutinized and criticized by their peers and people outside their lives that do not understand their situations or hobbies.  

“The literary club is a place for book lovers, writers, storytellers, and dreamers to connect with one another to share inspiration, to share the stories they love to make. Most importantly to make human connections,” Humanities teacher and Literary Club advisor Jeff Childers said.  

Students will be able express their feelings and beliefs in a healthy and respectful environment with a club advisor or leader and other students who will take care to listen carefully to them and what they wish to say. Like the history club where they learn about history and continue to make new history with passion.  

“Well, I support their effort by guiding them through their ideas, first, comes their ideas and I guide them along and pull the resources they need,” History teacher and History club advisor Loriane Crupi said.  

So much potential can be brought through these clubs, the student council is another club that provides students with the skills of becoming leaders, they get to discuss how the student body should be rewarded with various events and activities tied to special days and weeks.  

“It teaches students how to work together, they plan things for the student body. They are kind of, the voice of the student body, and it gives them the opportunity to heard,” Journalism advisor and English teacher Jennifer Araujo said.  

Clubs are a vital part of the learning environment in every school, especially at this school, a part that continues to educate and enhances a student’s mental health and thought process. It also gives students a sense of pride knowing that they are part of a group that can relate to them. For example, the Foreign Media exchange club not only focuses on Asian media but also forming connections with their members in a healthy way, which was the main point of creating the club. 

“I wanted people to connect with each other through their interests, now overall, I hope that people can interact a lot more with what you know they enjoy most and to benefit from making friends throughout high school,” Freshmen Isabely Cuevas said.  

Clubs create positive effects on student members that continue to fester within and allow them to encourage them to grow in their hobbies and interests. 

“it’s really fun in a way because like a lot of the stuff is kind of on me for like the posters, the drawing, and all that stuff. It makes me feel reliable in a way,” Senior Isabella Oliveira said  

Clubs also have long-term effects on students by helping them become comfortable with conversing with strangers with both different and similar tastes. Also, to debate others in a respectable manner.  

“I like being in the debate club because it’s kind of like a close knitted group people, so we all get to converse and share ideas, I want to be a lawyer when I grow up so it’s nice having that experience,” Sophomore Isabella Oliveira said.