Maybe Fast Tracking is the Path for You!

Angee Kamel, Section Editor

Fast Track is a program students can take in order to graduate a few months, or a year earlier than projected. It could be difficult and stressful. However, students are satisfied and do not second-guess their decision to partake in the program.

“Fast-Tracking, it affected my mental health a lot. My mental health started dropping a little bit afterwards because it was stacked on assignments. It was work that I found a little bit harder but after a couple weeks of fast tracking, I ended up getting used to all the changes and the teachers. I started making a whole like pattern on how to get things done little by little at my own pace, and that’s when my mental health started to increase,” Senior Yadieliz Ramirez said.

Fast tracking can take a very harsh path because students are given more work. Fast tracking students are given a different learning path than the regular student body and new experiences. Rather than graduating in four years, they only attend high school for three years.

“It impacted my schedule a lot. They had to change three of my classes, but that was necessary obviously because I need them to graduate. It also gives me the senior experience and it lets me graduate with my friends. Most of my friends are seniors. I now take 12th grade classes now, so it’s a little bit challenging, but you know this proves that I can get through it. And get the best experience out of my last year here,” Ramirez said.

It is not always the easiest path for high schoolers. Many complain about the challenging work and school taking up most of their free time.

“Sometimes I do regret my choice. The work can be tedious and the amount you have to do is very, very exhausting,” Senior Sergio Pinilla said.

Fast tracking can change a student mentally. It allows them to have a different mindset and learn how to use their time efficiently.

“Fast tracking has changed me in the sense that I have to be more organized with my work and can’t really rely on the idea of I’ll get it done last minute,” Pinilla said.

Students tend to choose fast tracking plans because of their future career choices. Like 12th grade student, Daniel Manrique is fast tracking for the choice of his career in medicine.

“At the end of the day, I’m going through what I wanted to do, and going through what the career that I want to pick which is medicine. I can see that it’s a career that is extremely long, I still have like 10 years left of school. So, you know, a little step further is one more step closer to the goal,” Manrique said.

Although fast tracking can be a lot of work and struggle, it can bring a student one step closer to their goal.  Especially, for students that are entering fields that will take a significant amount of time to establish a career in.

“I’m proud I made this decision because this decision only inspired me to move faster in the world. But to think about my future in the long run,” Manrique said.