Daisy Jones and The Six

Daisy Jones & The Six official poster.

Laura Escovedo, Writer

Taylor Jenkins Reid’s bestseller Daisy Jones & the Six was recently remade into a television series and left students with a lot of different opinions.

Prime Video‘s last hit, Daisy Jones & the Six, premiered on March 23, introducing viewers to the world of the titular ’70s rock stars.

“It captured so many things, the glamour, the lifestyle, the freedom, the joy, and the addiction, all while building each character with their own traits and strong personalities. For example, Camila is a very caring and loving person, and we can notice that through the whole show and in every scene that she shows,” Freshman Isabela Mezzaroba said.

Many readers of the book believe that the adaptation was a success and was able to do justice to the original version of the story.

“It is a book made for television, even down to the way it is structured, as the members of the band are being interviewed for a documentary 20 years after they broke up, and the flashbacks were perfect, the results are an adaptation of the story, that was able to keep the style and glamour from the time period of the story and the book, “Freshman Brianna Carceres said.

One of the things that viewers of the show liked most was that the series was able to embody the time period and the lifestyle of people who lived throughout the 70s.

“The show gives off the 70s vibes mostly through the clothing, the characters wear bell bottoms jeans, and fringe, their hair, especially the women is very 70s style with big-armed hair and hairbands, and they smoke a lot, all the time and there is also a lot of drinking which all were very normal things at that time and overall, they lived a rock band lifestyle with all the shows and performances and all the problems that I believe were common in a rock band, “Freshman Francine Kern said.

A big reason that people like the show would be because of how the series portrays women supporting women throughout it.

“The crosscurrents between them all are intense and well-acted scenes, the first one that comes to my mind is Camila’s scenes with Daisy and Karen, the show presents a lot of this woman support, they always have each other back and share this huge respect for each other through it all,” Mezzaroba said.

Another reason viewers say they are hooked on the show is the love triangle involving two of the band’s members, Daisy and Billy, and their photographer, Camila.

“In my opinion, love triangles make every show more interesting and this one definitely did, I feel like the three of them, Camila, Billy, and Daisy were all in a hard position but Billy was mostly in the wrong because he was married and had a kid and he left Camila alone in the marriage and raising a baby while living a romance with Daisy and even though Daisy knew he was married and she was aware they had a baby it wasn’t up to her to put Billy in his place,” Kern said.

Viewers of the show have chosen teams when it comes to this love triangle. Some people have chosen team Camila as she was the “first” girl to be with Billy.

“I am team Camila, she was the true victim while the two of them were busy with their love affair, they forgot Camila alone being a single parent and besides that, Camila loved Bill, she married him and truly believed that he was the love of her life and she was betrayed but she couldn’t even feel it, because she was busy with their baby and their family so I think both of them were in the wrong, and Daisy should have stopped after she met Camila and found out they had a child,” Mezzarroba said.

Other viewers have taken sides with team Daisy as they believe that Billy and she shared more chemistry than Camila and him.

“I’m team Daisy, I mean I may be a little bit biased because I love her character alone so much, but I think that they were cute and had this amazing tension and passion. I get why people aren’t team Daisy but at the same time, Billy and Camila just weren’t made for each other. I think it was the right choice in the end, him going with Daisy,” Carceres said.